Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Site Observation Day 2

It was a cold, windy afternoon at Louisa County High School when we set out on a journey into the woods...

The first site we observed was at the edge of a geese-infested pond. It was cold, spare the sunlight on my face. Just above the geese and the pond, the bus garage was visible and behind us, all you could see were trees. I could hear the leaves rustling in the wind and the buses creeping in and around the garage.


Our second site was surrounded by trees, but sunlight was still my only source of warmth. The ground, covered in leaves and acorns, was wet and mushy. I could still hear the rustle of leaves and I briefly heard a bird. The bus chatter was fainter now and it was too cold to feel my fingers when I took this picture of the lovely forest floor!


The third time we stopped to admire nature, we found everyone's favorite forest pals: the briars. I never will get used to those things poking my feet and ankles. There were fallen trees here and there and fallen leaves everywhere. The wind could still be heard brushing the leaves aside on its journey through the woods. While I was suffering the cold temperatures that I despise, I discovered what I thought might be a woodpecker hole on a fallen tree. I'm still not sure what it is, though, maybe you know:


Our final stop was at a fallen tree surrounded by leaves and a few briar vines. I can't describe much of what I felt here except that it was cold because by this point I was numb. The cold, dreaded wind was still blowing through the remaining attached leaves. I found a broken shell of an acorn; I wish I could say it was a cool, half-eaten acorn that fed a cute, furry squirrel; eaten or not, it's a sign of life and here is a beautiful picture of said acorn:

No comments:

Post a Comment