Thursday, February 24, 2011

Algae in my Cupboard?! Say what?!

Our homework last week was to find 8 foods with alginate, carrageenan, or beta carotene in the ingredients, which meant they had algae in them. Disgusting, yes, but pretty awesome, too. I think Mrs. Richardson did this to weed out the weak in our class. She also wanted us to see that algae isn't so bad after all and it shouldn't be stereotyped as nasty, slimy junk because that hurts its feelings. Really, I think she just wanted us to know how much algae really affects our lives-it's in the food we eat! I found one food with an alginate in it-Mini Wheats. My Grannie always eats Mini Wheats so I have to admit this one kind of grossed me out. A couple days ago, Mr. Bass had Mini Wheats on his desk. I broke the news to him about the algae and he looked at me with this disgusted face like I was crazy, so I blamed it all on Mrs. Richardson (just kidding, Mrs.R).



I also found carrageenan in Swiss Miss mix (try saying that ten times fast), Breakfast Essentials mix (delicious), Activia (not mine, just saying), heavy whipping cream, GoGurt, Jello Cook & Serve, and Dole Mandarins in Orange Gel.




No comments:

Post a Comment